R32 is a refrigerant gas used in Air Conditioning Units. Other refrigerants you may have heard of are R22 and R410A. All of these gases are hydrofluorocarbons (HFCs) with a high Global Warming Potential (GWP) commonly known as Greenhouse gases.
Why use R32?
R32 is the ‘next generation’ refrigerant that is being adopted by Air Conditioning Manufacturers. R32 is being used as it has a number of advantages over its predecessors. One of the biggest reasons is that it has one third of the Global Warming Potential (GWP) of the current ‘best’ refrigerant gas (R410A).
This means the industry is working towards the one of the key F-Gas Regulations which is to reduce F–Gas emissions by 79% between 2015 and 2030. For more information on F-Gas regulation see the link at the end of this article.
The list below highlights the main benefits of R32
• High efficiency refrigerant
• Easier to handle, reuse and recycle
• Cheaper and readily available
• Low Global Warming Potential (GWP) of 675
• Less refrigerant volume requirement compared to R410A
• A single component refrigerant
• F–Gas phasedown compliant